Monday, November 29, 2010

White Chocolate!

My dear friend Diane is allergic to chocolate.  You heard me.  The good stuff.  
She is also allergic to apples and grapes if any one is interested.  For some reason, during college I could never remember this.  I was forever offering her brownies and apple pie, grapes, you name it.  Bless her, she would just stare at me for a minute then calmly say, "Sue, I'm allergic to [chocolate, apples, grapes], I can't eat that."
Her theory is that I love chocolate so much that I just can't allow for the possibility that somewhere in the universe there are people who can't eat it too.  
I think it's a good theory.  That and I'm horribly forgetful. 
Well, Di is getting married soon.  And several bridesmaid events have called for the making of some scrumptious baking goods- giving me the chance to branch out of my usual apple pie/chocolate frosted chocolate anything repertoire.  And it's also introduced me to my new best friend: white chocolate.   
I will try not to gush, but suffice it to say I put it in every thing I can think of nowadays.
I've even converted my husband, a die hard white chocolate hater, into a "i'll eat it IN things" white choc lover. 
One of the winners we've tried lately: 


White Chocolate Raspberry Scones (oh my gosh amazing)
from Sarah's Cucina Bella
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup frozen raspberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using two knives. Stir in the chocolate chips and raspberries. Set aside.  In another bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the heavy cream and whisk some more until fully combined.  Make a well in the center of the dry mix and pour the egg mixture in. Use a rubber spatula to gently stir until just combined. It will be dry and crumbly and won’t hold together well.  Turn out the dough onto a floured cutting board. Using well-floured hands, pat the dough into an 8 inch circle, about 3/4 inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to slice into eight wedges.   If desired, brush the tops of the scones with 1 tbsp of heavy cream and sprinkle with course sugar.  Transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet and cook for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned.  Serve immediately. These are best eaten within two days. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
More?  Sure!  Come back tomorrow for: White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies 

No comments: