Wednesday, March 24, 2010

You, Me...Life.


Three years ago on Friday, this guy asked me if we could talk one afternoon. I didn’t know him all that well, really. We were in Virginia, at a training to prepare us to go overseas and work. He was headed to South America. I was headed to North Africa. There were a lot of people our age at the training and with such different destinations, we weren’t around each other much. Nonetheless, after dinner, this guy and I walked to a swing set (centrally located, I mean I don’t know this guy, right?) and he began to express that he had feelings for me (the good kind) and had had them for some time. He wanted us to get to know each other and see where it went.


I just sort of stared at him, kept swinging on my seriously child-sized swing, and thought about it.



On one hand, this was weird. I mean WEIRD. He was a wonderful guy –that was clear, but we didn’t really know each other. And in exactly 10 days we would leave said training center and go to different continents for the duration of our two year terms. Two years. 10 days. And did I mention the different continent thing? Yeah. Who does that?



On the other hand, I had felt very clearly in the months leading up to this day that I wasn’t going to just date to date anymore. I was sick of guys who didn’t know what they wanted. I was confident that the Lord had someone for me who would know what he wanted. He would be able to discern his feelings and tell me. Then and only then would I take him seriously. (SIDE NOTE everyone thought I was crazy for thinking this… I mean what guy would do that? Plunge forward into relationship wilds with no hope of a returning of feelings?)



So I told him that we could get to know each other.



And now we’re married. The end.



There’s actually a lot in between, but I’ll save that for another day.



For now, I’m so thankful. That he was a man who knew what he wanted and knew what his heavenly Father was telling him and was willing to move forward in confidence. And then for being utterly lovely ever since. I love him a lot. As in a WHOLE lot.


He might as well have come with a note attached to his sleeve that read "Dear Sue, You're welcome. Love, God"



Happy three years Graham.



No comments: